Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Ankle. You Bitch.


Whats up with me? Man so much. I'm sorry for the lull, but when I get bad news, sometimes I just want to keep it to myself so I don't have to face the facts.
I'm injured. Yup, once again I have hurt myself. Am I a little frustrated? Uh, yeah. BIG time frustrated.
My right ankle had been bothering me off and on for a while. I didn't think TOO much about it because I've had ankle issues before. I went on an 8 miler two weekends ago and it went ok and I was happy that I was able to accomplish 8 miles. BUT that night I was in pain. I'm talking almost to tears pain. The next day wasn't any better. I had to face the fact that I was in fact injured and needed to see someone.
I made an appointment to see the Podiatrist that night. Bad news left an right. I found out that I have beginning stages of arthritis in my ankle and that if I keep running/walking the way that I am I will eventually be walking like a penguin. Oh what every girl dreams of hearing...
He recommended new running shoes and he gave me a steroid shot to help with the pain. The best news is he told me I could still run. Yeahhh!
The next day I went for a run in my new shoes. I decided that I would only do a mile at a slow pace. The good news is that the tendon that was hurting, didn't hurt. The bad news is that everything else did. My left ankle was bothering me and my shin splints are back. I was devastated.
That Thursday was better. I went for a 3 miler after taking 4 Advil and things seemed to be fine. This past weekend I went to go on a short run but my calves were so tight that I was unable to go farther than a mile before admitting defeat.
On top of all of this, I have really wanted to run a 1/2 marathon this fall. I was looking into the Cincinnati 1/2, Oct 22. But plans got changed and I will be out of town that weekend. Then I was looking a 1/2 Sept 24th. But then I found out that my boyfriends family will be in town that weekend. End of September was cutting is close anyways. THEN I found the Columbus 1/2 on Oct 15 and thought that could work, but the NEXT DAY we got a wedding invitation for my boyfriend friend that we have to go to.
Ok, Universe, YOU WIN! I won't run a 1/2 this fall. :(
UGH

12 comments:

Marilyn @ Lipgloss and Spandex said...

Wow, I'm in almost the same situation as you! I think I've had tendonitis in my left ankle for awhile due to marathon overload this spring, but it's gotten better since I've cut my mileage down. I had totally forgotten about it and was hoping to train with a friend for a half marathon this fall. We went on a 10 miler on Sunday, and while it didn't hurt as much as yours does, it didn't feel good. :( Sucks, doesn't it? Hope yours gets better really soon.

Ewa said...

OK, I am a bit concerned here. If you are taking pain killers how do you know you are not making things worse by running? Now it might be my mistrust of doctors, especially podiatrists talking here.
I hope you'll get better soon. Nothing more frustrating for a runner than an injury.

Tricia said...

:( sending you healing thoughts

Nicole said...

so sorry to hear this sweet cheeks! hang in there!

Fruit Fly said...

There's probably just a better race waiting for you that you have yet to discover!

I hope your ankle heals up fast!!

Jessica Washburn said...

Well that stinks. I hope it's doing better, give us an update. :) Jessica

runningtobeskinny.com

Buy Extenze said...

I want to bookmark the page so I can return here from you that you have done a fantastic job.

treatment for anxiety in children said...

So how's your running status now? Any updates?



Raquel

frank said...

Hi, great site, very informative. Would you please consider adding a link to my website on your page. We are happy to offer you a 10% discount to our Online Store if you do so. Please email me back and I would be happy to give you our link.

Thanks!

Frank
frank641w@gmail.com

Sweat Is My Sanity said...

Hi, I'm new to your blog. I am so sorry you're injured. Good luck with it, I look forward to reading on...

Jessica

pay per head services said...

I hope that you can get better fast to get into the running again and I hope that this injury doesn't bother you anymore.

heel lifts said...

I remeber breaking my ankle ouch!